An Ultimate Guide to Men’s Festival Fashion
In Ireland, you should follow two golden rules when it comes to festival clothing:
Number 1: Dress for practicality and mobility
Festivals often involve a lot of walking, dancing, and being in crowded spaces. Your outfit should allow you to move freely and comfortably throughout the event.
Choose clothing made from lightweight, breathable materials to keep you cool and avoid heavy or restrictive garments.
Also, consider wearing closed-toe shoes that provide support and protect your feet in busy festival environments (leave the sandals at home).
Prioritise practicality while still maintaining your unique style to ensure you have a fantastic and hassle-free festival experience!
Number 2: Prepare for the unexpected with layers and spares
Irish festival weather can be unpredictable, especially if it’s a full weekend event.
Bring along versatile layers like a light jacket, hoodie, or loose shirt that you can easily put on or take off as the temperature changes.
This way, you can adapt to different weather conditions and stay comfortable throughout the day and night.
Layers and spare clothing also allow you to add or remove clothing as you move between crowded areas and more open spaces, helping you maintain a comfortable body temperature and enjoy the festival to the fullest!
Table of contents
- Ultimate guide to men’s festival outfits
- What do men wear at a summer festival?
- Is it OK to wear jeans to a festival?
- What shoes should I wear to a music festival?
- What to wear to a music festival in the rain?
- How to look good at a festival
What do men wear at a summer festival?
Here’s a comprehensive guide on what men can wear to festivals, featuring costumes, festival shirts, mesh tops, GAA shirts, hats, wigs, sunglasses, bags, accessories, and hairspray:
1. Festival shirts
Festival shirts are a staple for any summer event. Choose lightweight, breathable materials like cotton or linen, as they’ll keep you comfortable even in the hottest weather.
- Hawaiian Turquoise Print Shirt: Embrace the tropical vibes with this vibrant turquoise Hawaiian shirt, perfect for adding a splash of island paradise to your festival look
- Hawaiian Shirt with Yacht Turquoise: Sail into style with this nautical-themed Hawaiian shirt featuring yacht motifs in a refreshing turquoise hue, making it a standout choice for any festival outfit
- Hawaiian Pink Print Shirt: Make a bold statement with this Hawaiian shirt adorned in a playful pink print, exuding a fun and energetic flair that’s sure to turn heads at the festival
- 80’s Graphic Print Shirt: Step back in time with this retro-inspired graphic print shirt, channeling the nostalgia of the ’80s and bringing a vibrant and colorful touch to your festival ensemble
It wouldn’t be an Irish festival without a GAA shirt showing county pride! GAA shirts can be the perfect starting point for your festival outfit.
Pair it with jeans, shorts or even jean shorts if you’re feeling particularly trendy.
For a daring and edgy look, mesh tops are an excellent option. These see-through tops add a touch of rebellion to your festival attire and allow you to showcase your individuality.
Here at Fun Place, we love to see the men of Ireland taking the mesh top trend by storm, showcasing their individuality and bold sense of style. Is aoibhinn linn é!
Yes, we’re being optimists, hoping that you will actually need sunglasses at your next festival. But it’s a great accessory to announce your style and keep the sun at bay.
Here’s our guide to the most popular festival sunglasses for men:
- Embrace retro vibes with a pair of retro oval black sunglasses for a timeless and stylish accessory to shield your eyes while grooving to the festival beats
- These sporty sunglasses are the perfect choice for the active festival-goer, providing both protection and a sporty edge to your ensemble as you dance and enjoy the festivities
- Show your pride with our heart pride shades, adding a touch of love and inclusivity to your festival outfit while spreading a positive message
- Channel a classic and bold look with mirrored aviator sunglasses, an iconic choice that complements any festival attire, making you feel like a true rockstar
- Embrace the festival spirit with ganja leaf print glasses, a fun and playful accessory that showcases your carefree attitude and adds a touch of adventure to your look
- We love these gold frame blue lens sunglasses exude sophistication and style, elevating your festival outfit with a touch of luxury while ensuring your eyes stay protected from the sun’s rays
- With their pixelated design, these swag sunglasses bring a trendy and playful twist to any festival outfit, making a bold fashion statement
Break out those glasses at your next event in the hopes that the sun will shine and you can dance on!
3. Festival hats
It can be hard for Irish men to truly embrace their stylish side. Remember this infamous Twitter thread about how savage Irish people can be when someone dares to dress outside the norm?
Yes, it can be difficult to know what to wear to a festival. You have to dress for the weather, but you also want to look your best and be somewhat fashionable. The solution? The perfect hat!
Festival bucket hats
For the less daring, the safest and most popular choice is the bucket hat. Here are our top picks:
- Fluffy bucket hat (multiple colour options): Stand out from the crowd with our selection of eye-catching fluffy bucket hat, offering both style and practicality under the summer sun. Or alternatively, stay warm in the summer rain! Choose from black, teal, pink, purple or beige
- Fluffy rainbow bucket hat: Make a bold statement with this fluffy rainbow bucket hat, a celebration of vibrant colours and festival vibes
- Camo bucket hat grey: Embrace a rugged and urban style with the camo bucket hat in grey, a versatile accessory for any festival adventure.
- Pride bucket hat: Show your pride and support for the LGBTQ+ community with the pride bucket hat, a symbol of inclusivity and love at festivals.
- Nonbinary bucket hat: Make a bold statement with the nonbinary bucket hat, expressing your identity and celebrating diversity in festival fashion.
Ganja hat white leaf: Embrace a unique and edgy look with the ganja hat featuring a white leaf design, a nod to festival freedom and expression.
Cowboy hats for men
Irish men love cowboy hats. They’re the perfect accessory to blend country charm with festival fun.
Choose from one of our top picks:
- Black cowboy hat: Channel a classic and timeless look with the black cowboy hat, adding a touch of rugged charm to your festival outfit
- Beige cowboy hat: Embrace a rustic and stylish look with the beige cowboy hat, a classic accessory that adds a touch of western charm to your festival fashion.
- Baby pink cowboy hat: Embrace a soft and charming aesthetic with the baby pink cowboy hat – truly a bold and stylish choice for any man
Rainbow cowboy hat: Stand out in a sea of colours with the rainbow cowboy hat, a vibrant and lively addition to your festival outfit, celebrating the spirit of diversity and unity
The next question when planning your festival outfit is what sort of trousers or shorts you should wear.
Here’s some advice on planning your outfit:
- If it’s a weekend festival with varying weather conditions, your best bet is a mix of heavy shorts, lightweight, loose fitting (GAA type) shorts, comfy tracksuit bottoms, and a good pair of jeans or chinos
- Cargo pants with multiple pockets offer both functionality and style, allowing you to carry essentials
- If it’s scorching weather, jeans might not be the most ideal choice, but if the temperatures are milder, consider distressed or ripped jeans for an edgier vibe, and remember to select a fit that allows freedom of movement and comfort
When the sun is definitely going to be out (and you’ve double checked the Met Eireann weather forecast), shorts are the best option. Opt for festival shorts with playful prints, vibrant colours, or unique patterns to channel the carefree festival spirit. For a retro look, go for high-waisted shorts and complete your look with a funky festival shirt or a Hawaiian shirt for a stylish and breathable outfit
You can already hear your parents reminding you to pack your bag with everything you need for your festival trip – but what type of bag is best for a festival? Do you even need one?
Here’s our advice on the best types of bags for festival goers:
- Backpack: Keep your festival essentials close and your style on point with a trendy and spacious backpack, designed to carry all your necessities while ensuring you stay comfortable throughout the event
- Bum bag: Stay carefree and fashion-forward with a stylish bum bag, the perfect hands-free accessory to keep your valuables secure and your festival outfit effortlessly chic.
- Belt bag: There’s not much difference between a belt bag or a bum bag. Their main purpose is to allow you to dance and move freely while keeping your essentials within easy reach during the festival fun!
Crossbody bag: Opt for a versatile and trendy crossbody bag, offering both style and practicality as it hangs comfortably across your body, making it an ideal accessory for a hassle-free festival experience.
We strongly believe that men should not be afraid to be different and should be free to accessorise as much as they’d like!
These accessories add a playful touch to your outfit and might even become conversation starters.
Leave your inhibitions behind and let your authentic style shine through. Here’s our guide to wacky and wonderful festival accessories:
- Inflatable unicorn: The inflatable unicorn is a whimsical and fun festival accessory, making it the perfect prop for memorable photos and laughter-filled moments
- Inflatable rainbow: Embrace the vibrant and cheerful spirit of festivals with the inflatable rainbow, a versatile and eye-catching accessory that not only adds a pop of color to your ensemble but also doubles as a comfortable seat during those relaxing festival breaks
- Feather boa (tricolour): Coordinate with your friends showcase the Irish colours with a green, white and orange feather boa
- Elasticated braces (tricolour): Irish flag-coloured braces? Yes please! Link up with your friends to coordinate this quirky look with green, white and orange braces
Inflatable banana: Embrace a sense of humor and lightheartedness with the inflatable banana, a quirky and entertaining festival accessory to spark conversations
If you’re still unsure where to begin with your festival look, don’t worry! We’ve taken the hassle out of choosing a look and prepared some popular festival combinations for you below:
Summer festival look
Casual festival look
Retro festival look
Tie dye festival look
Is it OK to wear jeans to a festival?
Absolutely! It’s perfectly okay to wear jeans to a festival, especially if the weather is comfortable and you prefer a more casual and versatile look that allows you to move and dance freely throughout the event.
Additionally, jeans provide lots of pocket space, allowing you to carry your essentials like your phone, wallet and car keys securely.
You can accessorise your jeans with belts, braces, or even patches to further personalise your festival attire.
Keep in mind that choosing lightweight and stretchy denim will ensure maximum comfort.
Remember that jeans can get wet pretty quickly and take a long time to dry out so it’s worth checking the weather carefully!
What shoes should I wear to a music festival?
This is a really common question, and the answer (like many things in Ireland) is that it completely depends on the weather!
Shoes to wear to a festival in the rain:
- Wellies: For a music festival on rainy days or mucky grounds, wellies are a must-have. Look for wellies with good traction to ensure stability and comfort throughout the festival
- Old runners: If you don’t mind getting your shoes a bit dirty, consider wearing old runners that you no longer need to keep clean. While they may not be waterproof, they can still provide some level of comfort and support during a rainy festival day
- Hiking boots: Look for waterproof hiking boots with a good grip to keep your feet comfortable and secure as you explore on wet festival grounds
Footwear for dry summer festivals:
- White trainers: White trainers are a versatile and stylish option for dry summer festivals. They offer comfort for all-day wear, making them perfect for dancing and walking around the festival grounds and they will go with the majority of festival outfits
- Loafers / slip-ons: For a touch of sophistication and ease, slip-on loafers are an excellent choice for summer festivals. They are effortlessly stylish and comfortable, providing a more polished appearance without sacrificing comfort
- Converse / Vans: Classic Converse or Vans trainers are iconic choices for music festivals. They offer a timeless and edgy look that pairs well with a variety of festival outfits, from shorts and tees to jeans and funky shirts
Note: While it might be tempting to wear sandals to a festival on a hot summer day, we don’t recommend it. Think busy crowds with lots of dancing after a couple of drinks – you need footwear to protect your feet!
What to wear to a music festival in the rain
Let’s be realistic. The odds of rain at an Irish festival outdoors are quite high.
But why should that dampen your spirits? Check out these revellers having the time of the lives singing in the rain. Here’s our advice on what to wear for a rainy festival:
- Waterproof jacket: A reliable waterproof jacket is a festival essential in rainy weather. Opt for a stylish yet functional raincoat that keeps you dry without compromising your style
- Wellies: Keep your feet dry and mud-free with a sturdy pair of wellies. These waterproof boots are perfect for navigating through wet festival grounds
- Layers: As the weather can change throughout the day, dressing in layers is a smart choice. Start with a light hoodie or a long-sleeve shirt as a base layer, which you can easily add or remove depending on the temperature
- Waterproof clothing: Consider wearing waterproof clothing, such as waterproof pants or leggings, to protect your lower body from getting wet during downpours or muddy areas
- Hat: Don’t forget a hat to shield your head from raindrops and keep your hair dry. A wide-brimmed hat or a waterproof cap can provide stylish and practical protection
- Rain poncho: A rain poncho is an excellent addition to your festival attire. It’s lightweight, easy to carry in a bag, and provides full coverage to protect both you and your belongings from rain
- Bag: Opt for a waterproof or water-resistant bag to keep your essentials safe and dry. Look for a backpack or crossbody bag with secure closures to prevent water from seeping in during heavy rain
How to look good at a festival
Ultimately, looking good at a festival is all about embracing your unique style and being comfortable in your own skin. Who cares if all the lads are wearing the same outfit? You can make your own trends!
Confidence is the key to pulling off any outfit, so wear what makes you feel good and own it. Take lots of photos – but don’t lose your phone!
A summer festival is a fantastic opportunity to let loose, enjoy great music, and make unforgettable memories with friends. And who knows, a fun outfit might be the conversation starter that means you make a new lifelong friend 🙂
Embrace the spirit of the festival and have fun with your fashion choices, whether it’s donning tie-dye, bohemian-inspired attire, or sporting bold accessories.
Just remember to check the weather forecast and be prepared for any unexpected rain.With these tips and ideas, you’ll be festival-ready and dressed to impress.
So, grab your water bottle, put on your favourite festival outfit, and get ready to have the time of your life this festival season!